Friday 24 September 2010

The new season

Hi gooners!


Firstly I must apologise for not having written anything this season, I have no excuse other than laziness. Sometimes it’s just better to take a step back and let others do the talking. I am going to try and update on a regular basis but I cannot promise that lethargy won’t sink in again and there will be another similar gap before my next post!


The start to the season


Given that we already have as many injuries as we did towards the final weeks of the season, I think we have had a great start to the campaign. The Liverpool game was probably the poorest we’ve played as the boys just couldn’t get going. I was really concerned about our trip to Blackburn but we passed that with flying colours and it was at that point that I started to realise that things just might be different this season. Whilst I’m disappointed that we gave away a last minute goal at Sunderland, there was clearly a new resilience within the side.


I’ve no doubt that we now have the strongest squad we have had since the days of the invincibles. Pivotal to this strength is the three players that Wenger has signed over the summer.


Chamakh:


Having watched Chamakh in every game he has played since arriving at the club, I am convinced he will go on to become an Arsenal great. Whilst I don’t think he will bang in 20 goals a season, what he brings to the team is far greater. What I really like about him is his effort; he gives 100% in every match he plays regardless of the opponent. His hold up play is first rate; he creates space for others, is a real threat in the air and above all he is an intelligent player. When I think back to players like Adebayor who was a good player but clearly didn’t have the intelligence that gives you that little extra in and around the penalty area. I’m of the opinion that Chamakh is the perfect lone front man and thus RVP is going to have to fight to earn back his place in the team or he might have to play as an attacking left midfielder, either way this competition is perfect for the squad.


Koscielny:


Like everyone, I had my doubts about the signing and whether he would be able to cut it at the highest level. Those doubts are beginning to evaporate, especially after his performance at Sunderland and Spurs. His start hasn’t been perfect, the goal we conceded at Blackburn was his mistake but I would put that down to experience as I’m sure the next time he’s faced with that situation he will slide in and put the ball out for a throw. The Bolton goal was also a poorly placed header but these things do happen, even Tony Adams and Sol Campbell had dodgy starts to their Arsenal careers. Having said that, his positional play is excellent and he takes the ball of opposing players with ease. His performance at Spurs in the week was outstanding and I really do think he has a great future with the club.


Squillaci:


Its early days but the guy looks like a great signing and his first two performances have been very assured. When I was watching the Sunderland game I found myself thinking ‘is he on the pitch?’ which is a good thing as far as I’m concerned as he goes about his role quietly and efficiently and can withstand anything that’s thrown at him.


For the first time in a long time, we have three centre backs fighting for two places which can only be a good thing. You may ask why I don’t include Djourou but in my opinion he is a fourth choice type of player, he can do a job 7 or 8 games a season but I would be concerned if he were needed on a consistent basis.


The emergence of Jack Wilshere


To be honest, I was a little surprised that Wenger threw him into the first team at the beginning of the season because on the occasions he has played for us in the past, I didn’t think he’d ever put in a performance to live up to his hype. This season he has been employed in a slightly withdrawn role and he looks the real deal. Jack was poor at Liverpool but has grown in stature, superb against Bolton and Braga and simply sensational at the Lane. I can’t remember Fabregas giving a performance like that when he was 18 (correct me if I’m wrong) but we know that Jack has a long way to go before he can be compared to the great man but there’s no doubt that the signs are promising. We all know that Cesc will probably be heading to Barca next summer but I wouldn’t be too downbeat about it as the prospect of a midfield three of Song, Wilshere and Ramsey doesn’t sound too bad!


There is no doubt that we have a future Arsenal and England great on our hands and clearly Wenger is the best man to nurture his considerable talent.


Prospects for the season


We always start the season well so I’m not reading too much into it, I’d much rather reserve judgement until after we go to Stamford Bridge next week but so far so good.


West Brom at home tomorrow and I fully expect three points, even though we have our fare share of injuries we should still have more than enough to beat them.


That’s all folks, enjoy the game and I’ll post some thoughts on the game either on Sunday or Monday.


Until then…


No comments:

Post a Comment