Wednesday 3 February 2010

The player that got away

Evening all.

I've been doing a lot of thinking in the last few days, name me an Arsenal fan who hasn't. Having read some pathetic over reactions by many of the blogs since our humiliation to Utd, I think we need to put things into perspective. Chelsea's draw at Hull last night has made things wide open again at the top, if and it's a big 'if' we beat Chelsea on Sunday then we're right back in the race. We're a wounded animal at the moment and I fully expect us to put in a better performance at the weekend. Will that be enough? It's impossible to say, if Denilson is on the team sheet then we might as well go home. I'll be really disappointed with Wenger if the Brazilian starts, Ramsey is a much better option or if Diaby is fit he must play.

I've been thinking about the player that left Arsenal in the last few years who I genuinely feel we miss the most of any that has moved on in recent times - his name is Alex Hleb. After an indifferent first few seasons at the club, Hleb was instrumental in our title challenge back in 2007/8. Something I'll always maintain is that Hleb was one of the most skillful players I have ever seen in an Arsenal shirt, his ability was unlike any other. Absolutely vital to our attacking play, he was able to beat players at will and often hold on to the ball when it looked impossible to do so. One of the criticisms of Hleb was that he didn't score enough goals, it's true to say that he wasn't a goal scoring midfielder but then he didn't need to be. Hleb made so many goals for other players and was crucial to our counter attacking play and I don't think we've ever been the same as counter attacking unit since he left the club. Samir Nasri was bought as his replacement but has always flattered to deceive, I for one am worried that he just isn't what we need, I hope he proves me wrong but he's done little to suggest that he's going to be a world beater. Hleb in our current team would be absolutely fantastic, Arsenal was the right club for him and it's a shame he had to leave to realise it. Who can forget that wonderful goal Fabregas scored at Anfield in 2007? Hleb waited and waited to release the ball to his best mate and we got our equaliser.

I'm sad that he never made it at Barcelona but then again the odds were stacked against him when in order to play he had to get into the team instead of Lionel Messi - Hleb was good but he's wasn 't the best player in the world.

I hope this article makes you think, Hleb WAS a great player and one we miss more than you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment