Monday 22 February 2010

Post Sunderland thoughts

A vital 3 points gained against Sunderland on Saturday, I suppose it didn't really matter how we performed as already knowing that Utd had lost at Everton it was crucial we picked up maximum points. We outplayed Sunderland without being overly convincing, the killer instinct was missing but that wasn't a surprise without Arshavin and Diaby. Although I'm not convinced by Samir Nasri, I thought he had his best game of the season and hopefully will push us on in the title run in. I've always been a fan of Eboue and thought he was excellent on Saturday, whilst he isn't as solid defensively as Sagna, the fact is that going forward he offers us so much. It's an enigma for Wenger as Sagna is a superb defender but that is only half the job of a full back, let us not forget that Eboue was our right back in the year we got to the Champions League final when we only conceded two goals and that was in a game we were playing Barcelona and down to ten men for 80 minutes. The simple truth is that Eboue is simply superb going forward and he can actually cross a ball which Sagna is literally unable to do. I would stick with Eboue at right back for now and see what happens, should he weaken our defence significantly then Wenger can bring Sagna back in with little fuss.

Although we gifted a few clear cut chances to Sunderland it was down to one man and that was Sylvester. An absolutely dreadful defender who should not be playing for a club like Arsenal, I understand that Sol was tired after Porto but the guy is a solid defender and has proved that he is still the unbeatable force he once was, albeit a slower one! Not every great defender needs pace, first and foremost they need to be able to defend and Sol can do that whereas Sylvester can't.

An interesting piece on Walcott by ArsenalVision, citing Sven Goran Eriksson as the main reason why he hasn't fulfilled his potential. I agree 100% and funnily enough I said the same thing to my father last week. As I've said many times here, I'm not a fan of Walcott and do not believe he will make it at Arsenal. Much to my amusement, after the game I saw links on Newsnow; 'Walcott inspires Arsenal" etc. Why read those articles, clearly written by someone who wasn't at the match. Walcott was dreadful, I don't think I've seen a footballer with so little intelligence and awareness of what's around him.

So it's Stoke next Saturday, have we learnt from the cup defeat a month ago? I would hope so but something tells me it might be the same old story. I see the game as one of the trickiest in our run in, should we win then I might just start to believe that we might finish second (There's no way we will win the title, we simply aren't good enough) which would be an excellent achievement in my eyes.

Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment